18 April 2009 "The exhilaration of becoming a collector"


My day was made by an article from the Arts Correspondent in The Independent newspaper today. She is Arifa Akbar, [that is Arifa in the photo], and she tells about how she was exhilarated as she purchased an original painting eight years ago using the Own Art scheme funded by Arts Council England.

This is what she says about it, "I found myself returning to a painting of a purple cat with its head turned curiously towards the mouth of a gramophone, like a painted version of the His Master’s Voice trademark on vinyl records but for cat-lovers. It wasn’t a particularly complicated or clever painting but it was one I found really quite charming. ....walking out of the gallery with the £800 painting under my arm (after having signed up to pay £80 a month for the next 10 months), really was painless. I was told it was by a British artist called Colin Ruffell, who apparently sold well abroad. It didn’t matter. It wasn’t a trophy or an investment. It was a work I liked, and nearly a decade later, I have no idea how much it is worth – but it still makes me smile."

Wow! The painting was one of mine :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment here;